Friday 11 December 2009

Party time job....

Are you going to your work Christmas party tonight? I heard on the radio that seventy per cent of office Christmas parties take place tonight. Ours is. This was ours last year......(there was more than three people...but this is the only picture I have!)

So I'll not blogging this evening as I'll be eating, dancing, singing and drinking! So here is last night's tea instead.....

Creamy Lemon Chicken....(for one)

1 chicken breast
25g/1oz butter
1 clove garlic
4 spring onions chopped up
1/2 small tub creme fraiche
1 lemon
parsley

Melt the butter in a pan and when it begins to foam add the garlic. I love the smell of garlic in butter. Keep it moving around the pan and add the chicken. Leave it to cook until browned on one side and flip it over. Add the spring onions and cook for 2 minutes or until cooked through.


Add the creme fraiche, zest of the lemon, the juice of the lemon, and bubble away for 5 minutes or so until it is thickened. I then raided my herb drawer in the freezer. I still have big bags of all the herbs from the garden. They are so useful.


Sprinkle a handful of parsley into the sauce and serve with plain noodles and peas. (I would normally serve it with brown rice but I didn't have any.)

It doesn't look much but it tastes great!

PS. There's a story behind this dish. We often end up with extra people for Christmas dinner...people that decide to holiday on Scilly without realising how remote it is in winter, random family etc. One Christmas we had a man come to stay in a holiday let. His family were staying on another island and he just assumed he'd be able to get a boat over on Christmas day. He couldn't so he ended up spending Christmas with us. We loved him. He was great fun...he's been back to stay with us several times and this was the first thing he ever cooked for us. (I remember because we thought creme fraiche was the most exotic thing we had ever eaten!) But he's a bit of a mystery. We don't really know what he does because he always manages to stay off the subject. We think he might be an international spy like James Bond. I hope he is. If I ever find out he is a tax man or parking officer I'll be gutted.

1 comment:

  1. I love lemon chicken things. I tried the nigel slater simple suppers one recently with lemon and feta, soo good and easy. This looks lovely too. Hope your Christmas party is great.

    ReplyDelete