Saturday 13 March 2010

Goose egg sponge....

There's something bewitching about baking. Spending an hour mixing four basic ingredients together and creating something wonderful. This morning I introduced my arms to the sunshine for the first time this year and picked up hundreds (that's no exaggeration) of rocks out of my allotment. I'm hoping my vegetable patch will be much like baking...a few ingredients; soil, seeds, water and sunshine with a delicious outcome.

On the way home I pulled into the layby at Perranaworthal and picked up some Olive and Thyme Bread from Vicky's Bread...




This is the first time I've had her bread. It's quite unlike most commercial bread. It's chewy and crunchy at the same time. Big, fat, juicy green and black olives spread throughout it which almost give a strong Italian savoury taste.





I spread a teaspoon of apple chutney across one piece and squash a fat mejool date across another slice. Delicious....




Now I'm at home and I wanted to bake. I'd been given a white, glossy goose egg from a neighbour....

Truthfully, I had no idea what to do with it. It's too big to boil, surely?

It was massive!

I weighed it in its shell and decided to see how it would taste in a sponge. So I weighed out equal measures of self raising flour, caster sugar and butter and whipped them up with the goose egg.


I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract and spooned into a lined tin. I then popped it into a 180'c oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.....

The sponge was a deep yellow and in the same way the olives made the cake taste "savoury" the goose egg seemed to give the cake a richer more "cakey" taste.


Spread with a couple of tablespoons of strawberry jam. Emma Bridgewater says on her new tea towel "Total Happiness is a cup of tea and a new magazine and a bar of chocolate." Well stuff the chocolate.....

9 comments:

  1. Thats a great looking cake Issy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurumph - I want neighbours who hand out goose eggs for me to make delicious sponge cakes with! You're so lucky - and that cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent! You are taking me on egg recipe travels I could not have imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had soft boiled goose eggs the other day and they were delicious. (we boiled them for 12 mins and the yolk was on the set side of runny, you could prob do them for 10/11 mins and it would perfect, although it of course depends on the freshness of the egg, as with any soft boiled egg).

    Next time though I might try sponge. I am told that goose egg quiche is particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! Goose egg quiche sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've stolen a march on me there - I'm still waiting for a goose egg or two to appear from the heavens as I've heard they make fabulous cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, randomly bought a goose egg and this was the ideal thing to do with it...lovely rich sponge...used rhubarb and orange jam with it, next time will add the zest of an orange to the cake too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great- sounds delicious! Rhubarb and orange jam...yummy!

    ReplyDelete