Monday 15 March 2010

Ooodles of noodles....

Sometimes I can't help but judge people by their shopping baskets. As I que behind them I take a peek at what they are unpacking and try and guess who they are and what they do. Trolleys filled with orange juice, yogurts, biscuits and bread probably have teenage boys ready to graze the household. Baskets with budget vodka, pizzas and ready meals....students.

But if you want to judge me you need to look in my spice cupboard. Open the door and you'll find a clear list of evidence of the foods I with cook regularly (soy sauce, nam pla, honey, cinnamon, sweet chilli sauce) the sometimes sauces (Worcestershire, redcurrant, ketchup) and the token spices (star anise..one day boys I promise I'll get you out of the packet.)

On a Sunday there is nothing better than a plateful of noodles filled with different textures. Crunchy vegetables, delicate prawns and sweet, sticky chilli sauce.

The sweet chilli sauce makes regular outings from my cupboard always leaving a trail of sticky, red splodges behind it. I use Nigella's recipe which you find here. It's fantastic and perfect with everything from cold meats, to a piece of Cornish yarg....but even better with a plateful of noodles.....


Egg Fried Noodles with Prawns and Sweet Chilli Sauce....(serves 2)




200g/7oz fresh prawns
125g/4oz dried egg noodles
2 eggs
1 garlic clove
4 handfuls of chopped vegetables (I used red pepper, beansprouts, pak choi and courgette)
2 tbsp groundnut oil
4 heaped tbsp sweet chilli sauce




Chop your vegetables into small chunks. Crack two eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Pour some boiling water over your noodles and put to one side. Put 1tbsp of the oil in a wok and put over a high heat. Add the crushed garlic and the vegetables and stir fry. I started off just frying the courgette and peppers because they take a little longer than the others. When they start to brown add the prawns. While the prawns and cooking pan another pan on the heat and add the rest of the oil. Add the noodles and stir fry. Add the eggs and keep of stirring until the egg is cooked.




Keep stirring the prawns until they turn pink.


Add 2 tbsp of the chilli sauce....


Give it a good stir. Then add the eggy noodles and stir again.

Plate up and top each plate with another tbsp of chilli sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love noodley, sweet chilli things and this looks scrumptious.
    And I totally do that thing of spying on people's shopping - endlessly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete