Friday 6 August 2010

Bean and scone....

When I get up at 5am it's dark. I used to see the sunrise. Now the autumn's on it's way and I'm trying to make the most of the allotment glut before there's nothing left. But now it's raining....


Heading to the allotment in flip flops is unpleasant to say the least and by the time I get to the allotment my feet are red and muddy. I think leaving the frisee lettuces was a mistake...

It feels autumny now...especially as I'm starting to preserve everything. This is my pumpkin ready for Halloween...

The strawberry plants are already thinking about next year and are sending out runners which look like spaghetti.

But my trusty courgettes are holding fast, refusing to believe the summer is coming to an end.

Yellow and Green Courgette and Cheese Scones....... (Makes 10)

12oz/340g self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3oz butter
5oz cheddar
milk
salt and pepper
3oz grated green courgette
3oz grated yellow courgette

Preheat the oven to 200'c.

Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add the grated cheese. Chop the butter into small cubes. Use the tips of your fingers to rub the butter cubes in until it looks like breadcrumbs....

Add the courgettes and salt and pepper.

Mix with your hands. Add a splash of milk at a time and keep mixing until you have a dough. Put onto a floured surface.
Roll out and cut with a scone cutter. Place on a baking tray and glaze with beaten egg.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cool on a cooling wrack. These freeze really well.



2 comments:

  1. I'd thought i'd eaten every possible courgette variant from my mother having an alottment growing up, this is a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Trying to find new recipes for courgettes is impossible!

    ReplyDelete