Monday 23 August 2010

Toffee Apple.....

The next time you tuck into a bowl of your favourite ice cream beware of where it comes from. Apparently an ice cream's place of origin affects your mood. Food psychologist Greg Tucker If you eat American ice cream that contains lots of bits in it makes you feel busy and a bit like a "modern teenager". This made me laugh as me and the other half often have teenager style fights with spoons over a tub of Ben and Jerrys Cookies and Cream.

If you're dipping in to Scottish ice cream Tucker thinks you get feeling of indulgence. Again I'm sceptical. I generally feel indulgent when I'm tucking into any tub of ice cream because I tend to eat the whole thing in one sitting.

And on to Cornish ice cream which makes you think of beaches and the seaside. Hear I am not at all sceptical because, of course, Cornish ice cream is the best in the world.

My moody is dreamy and happy today- not because of ice cream- but because at last we have a sunny day. OK that might be an exaggeration. Sunny patches perhaps. So I used to Cornish ice cream to make a happy, dreamy, seasidey, beachey pudding....

Caramelised Apple with Honeycomb Ice Cream....(serves 1)

1 cooking apple (look at my massive bowl! Goodbye courgette recipes, hello apples)
3 tbsp icing sugar
1 small chunk of salted butter
1 scoop of Kelly's Honeycomb Ice Cream (you can get it in Tescos I think- if you live outside Cornwall)

Slice the top and bottom off the apple and set aside. Peel your apple.

Cut around the core and push it out with your fingers.

Slice the apple horizontally into rings. Warm some butter in a large pan. Dust the rings with the icing sugar and place one at a time in the foaming butter.

Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, flipping over carefully when they start to go a bit gooey at the edges.

Stack them up with the biggest ring at the bottom. Put the apple "hat" on the top.
Serve with a big scoop of honeycomb ice cream.

1 comment: